Without going nuts on maternity clothes, I’ve managed to pick up some really nice things that I’m hoping will keep me going for the next 6 months. Where possible, I’m buying things that will look great after the baby is born as otherwise it seems really wasteful, and I’ve been borrowing what I can from mummy friends. Here’s what I like:
- Topshop and H&M really didn’t suit me, but I love my new over the bump Seraphine straight leg jeans which are straight enough to go well under knee high boots and look fairly fashionable
- I also love my GAP demi panel boot cut jeans although for me they need a heel.
- The GAP 1969 boyfriend jeans range is elasticated and loose enough to accomodate a growing bump too – I bought them in dusky pink.
- I’ve found GAP does some great non-maternity V-neck baggy Ts that will go well with or without bump – a nice low V to show off new ginormous cleavage with plenty of room for growing bump and nice and long.
- Topshop has some nice maternity T-shirts but they are 90% polyester so not great if you want skin to breathe.
- Although a bit more expensive, and as they are tight they look better if your bump is a bit bigger, the Seraphine nursing tops are very glamorous
- Thanks to the comments below, I’ve also recently bought the Isabella Oliver ruched tank, striped top and scoop neck top all which are gorgeous and show off my bump. Great catalogue to flick through too and they are currently doing 20% off.
Isabella Oliver Scoop top
Every mum I know has a long belted or cascade cardigan. Super comfy and perfect to wrap round bump – I bought this lovely one from Mango.
I saw Topshop maternity has this lovely grey necklace sweater that Fearne Cotton wore recently.
Poem at Oliver Bonas has some nice non maternity loose sweaters – I picked up their striped bow jumper.
- I’ve picked up some lovely maternity dresses from Mamas & Papas on ebay (£3 each – bargain!) – love the shape as they show off your cleavage and are loose over the bump (tight doesn’t work for me).
- The Vila and Poem collections at Oliver Bonas also include some lovely non-maternity dresses that work well with a bump.
- I bought the gorgeous Emily dress from Isabella Oliver in wine which is really flattering and shows off my bump – now 30% off with the flash sale.
- I love the gorgeous Asos breton stripe dress (as seen in Pregnancy & Baby magazine, my new guilty pleasure)
- My favourite purchases however are from JoJo Maman Bebe which seems to suit me the best – I really love my JoJo Maman Bebe essential maternity dress which I have in 2 colours (LOTS of compliments – first time ever for maternity clothes), although like lots of JoJo Maman Bebe stuff the arms are ridiculously long
- I also love their black shift dresses, now sold out though
JoJo Maman Bebe Essential Maternity dress – ridiculously comfy & flattering
- I bought some very comfy black maternity tights from Topshop (£8)
- Post 30 weeks I’m pretty much living in leggings – I love my long leg over the bump leggings from Seraphine (£18) and I also got a cheaper pair from H&M
- It seems lots of women just wear their normal coats “open” with a scarf covering bump, but I’m spending Christmas in Scotland so I’d like to get a swing coat that will cover bump and be good for normal too. JoJo Manan Bebe has some nice ones and H&M has some really nice coats at a decent price (under £40). Asos is a place to try too.
- I’ve got the super comfy Bravado maternity and nursing bras from JoJo Maman Bebe in black and white (£25)
- Just to keep some semblance of glamour, I got the Elle Macpherson La Mere black lace maternity bra £35 – actually lovely and comfy and doesn’t look too bad either.
Charlotte & Co dressing gowns
Nursing stuff, lazing clothes and nighties
I’m heading to Primark for their button down dark nighties, pants, trackie bums and vest tops.
I also bought this lovely nightie from Mamas & Papas
And this gorgeous wrap around dressing gown from Charlotte & Co
Rather than nursing tops which I’ve heard mixed messages about, I’m planning just to wear shirts and vests and to perhaps pick up a mamascarf.
….BUT MY FAVOURITE PURCHASE OF THE LOT has to be, rather embarrassingly, my Just Sheepskin slippers which, I think it is not an exaggeration to say, have increased my day-to-day happiness tenfold. Oh the glamour!